Sunday 30 August 2015

The Curious Case of Idiyappam

This was one food experiment that turned out to be an epic fail. Not that the dish was a disaster, just that it was not what had I assumed it to be. Assumptions, ah!
At this popular south Indian restaurant, I thought of looking beyond the much explored Dosa section and settled for Idiyappam. 

Idiyappam - now this name appears suggestive of a creative mix of idli and appam, dont you think? That is if you too, like me, hail from the north and where south Indian food menu more often than not revolves around the many varieties of dosas, idli, vada and lemon or curd rice once-in-a-while. So assuming idiyappam to be a close cousin of idli and appam, I ordered this item. Turned out, idiyappam is not even distantly related to either idli or appam!

Iddiyappam
As I said earlier, the dish was not a disaster, just a little bland. And here it was served with coconut milk, which obviously did nothing to add another flavour to the dish. It tasted more like bland rice noodles, and so probably a side dish of sambhar curry or some other vegetable curry would have probably made it more palatable. However a south Indian friend tells me that one way to eat this dish is to douse it in coconut milk, add a little sugar, mix it all up and then eat. Hmm...maybe next time, for now I know what iddiyappam is.

4 comments:

  1. Idiyappam tastes good with veg or chicken stew or kuruma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I want to build my brand, however, I don’t how to build and when can I start to build. And what is my resource given?
    Hanuman Chalisa Yantra | Body Buildo | Fair Look | Slim Pro | Sandhi Sudha | Hot Shapers | Step Up Height Increaser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unique recipe!! useful to all the mothers and thank u for sharing with us...looking for any services click on link for Courier Services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to say your article is astounding. The clarity in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the fabulous work.
    samas
    sarvanam
    pradushan par nibandh
    paryavaran
    savinay avagya andolan
    HANUMAN CHALISA
    ganesh ji ki aarti

    ReplyDelete